Monday, January 2, 2012

Age Isn't Just a Number

A little girl at the restaurant yesterday, tried to tell her father that young people were smarter than old people, because old people forget things.  I find this quite amusing, and the truth is, it seems like as time goes by, the more young people think they know everything.  With the advancement of technology, children are learning things faster, and yes, they can do mathematical equations, speak foreign languages, and other things that older people can't, but the question is, are they really smarter?

I have always measured the level of my intelligence by my experience, combined with what I have learned over the years from school.  Because I started school early, I always considered myself smarter than most people my age because I was ahead of them in school.  I always had older friends when I was a teenager, and so I felt older than I was, and smarter than most.  But, now that I am older, I tend to have younger friends.  I don't consider myself better than them, but yes, from time to time I do feel I am smarter than they are.  I believe this is mostly because I have gone through certain things that many people haven't, I graduated high school and college, and have made my life essentially about obtaining knowledge in any way, shape, or form.  It makes me frustrated to see people younger than me, thinking they have it all figured out.  I try to tell them that they think they know everything now but in a few years they'll realize how idiotic they were being, but of course, they never listen.  I'm not saying I didn't say the same thing, and I'm not saying that I have everything figured out now either.  But I guess with how smart younger people are getting, seemingly, I wonder if maybe they'll figure things out.  But I can't really believe that because of how fast the world changes.  People change, and as a result, it begins a catalyst of chaotic events to change everything around.  So, honestly, no matter how smart we are at any given point in time, no matter how well we think we have things figured out, no matter how many books we've read, languages we know, cultures we've studied, experiments we've concluded, we can't figure things out.  No one can predict the future, and no one can ever say with certainty that they know how things are going to go.  At the end of the day, we really are as young and naive as children.  We can try and say that our experience helps us, but experience can't help you 100% of the time, because things don't happen the same way all the time.  There are no definite answers in life.  Except maybe, that there is always an exception to the rule.  We have nothing figured out.  So maybe age is just a number, because at the end of the day we're all in the same boat.  We all, know nothing. 

This blog could be totally wrong.  Who knows? Nobody.

No comments:

Post a Comment